Meet Fit Finn. He was designed by Clara Evans and Fiona Fickett from 6th class. He loves exercise and eating healthy food. He tries to do as much exercise as possible everyday.
Well done to the children from 3rd to 6th class who were chosen to represent their classes on the Student Council. They had their first meeting with Ms. Woodcock and they are very enthusiastic. They will also be helping Ms. Teehan to promote the Active Flag activities that we do in our school. They are already helping us to come up with some new ideas.
3rd: Sam, Abi, Conor and Lily
4th: Lucy, Hugo, Ailbhe, Tim, Seán and Aibhe
5th: Caoimhe, Aibhe, Evan and Alanah
6th: Loman, Emily, Andrew and Peggy
ACTIVE SCHOOL FLAG
This means focusing on PE and including as much physical activity into our day,
eg. GoNoodle, skipping, running laps of the yard, etc.
• ‘It’s super cool to bí ag siúl. Be wise and exercise.’
Note from the Active School Committee
- Some children from the Active School Committee will come to talk to your class about our new character ‘Fit Finn’. Clara and Fiona from 6th class designed Fit Finn and he encourages us to be more active in school and at home!
- Our school slogan is ‘It’s super cool to bí ag siúl. Be wise and exercise’. The committee will design some posters for the school. If any class could write poems, make posters, or anything else it would be great to put some up around the school. We can also take photos of them for the website.
- Students are getting the opportunity to climb Mont Blanc! This is a great skipping challenge! Students have to count their skips and each skip counts as a metre. They keep track of their skips over a few days and it is the equivalent of climbing some of the highest mountains in Europe.
This is our Active Slogan. We have an Active Schools notice board in the school hall and a suggestion box (outside Tara’s office).
• Our Active School Committee is our Students’s Council.
They were very interested in campaigning for allowing running in the yard last year and are delighted the success of that campaign.
We are encouraging students to move at lunchtime when outside and not sit down for the whole break.
• Active Schools Week will be from Friday 9th June to Friday 16th June.
During Active School Week we will be giving some physical activities for homework
• We will put photos, information, etc. on the school website.
• We have Playground Leaders in the yard.
Each class will take part in their own running initiative over the next few months.
We can’t wait for a bit of sunshine for when we are running our laps.
Ms. Donnelly’s class have carried out a ‘What Club Are You In?’ survey
and we will display it on the notice board in the hall.
The idea for this is to promote local clubs and inform the students and parents
Our Active School Committee met for the first time at the end of November. We came up with some great ideas and suggestions already.
The committee members will tell their classmates about the Active School Flag and they will encourage the boys and girls to come up with some new ideas and to put these in the suggestion box outside Tara’s office.
Ms. Donnelly’s 4th class are working on a survey of local clubs and sports that the children participate in. We are hoping this will give all children some ideas as to what happens in their locality and hopefully it will encourage more children to participate and to be more active.