In response to the new model for allocating resources to children with special needs, staff at St. Brigid’s are co-ordinating a whole school approach to support children who are on the Autistic Spectrum.
This approach will be informed by the excellent information available on the SESS website. Scroll down this LINK to see strategies for
- developing social communication and social interaction and also
- managing restrictive, repetitive behaviours, interests and activities
Some useful quotes
1. “If you’ve met one person with autism, you’ve met one person with autism,” Dr. Stephen Shore.
2. “What would happen if the autism gene was eliminated from the gene pool? You would have a bunch of people standing around in a cave, chatting and socializing and not getting anything done,” Dr. Temple Grandin.
3. “It takes a village to raise a child. It takes a child with autism to raise the consciousness of the village,” Coach Elaine Hall.
Famous people on the autistic spectrum
Local advocate for those with autism Adam Harris. He is the founder of As.I.Am, an advocacy group for those with autism and their family and friends. Do click on this LINK to learn more.
Michelangelo, Mozart and James Joyce are thought to have been on the autistic spectrum.
Amazing Things Happen
This five minute animation ‘Amazing Things Happen’ comes highly recommended. You can watch it HERE and learn a lot about autism. If we were all the same what an ordinary life we would have. Difference makes the world a more interesting place.