In response to the new model for allocating resources to children with special needs, staff at St. Brigid’s are adopting a whole school approach to ADHD.
This approach will be informed by the excellent information available on the HADD Ireland website. Check HERE to see the practical tips for teachers on that page.
Famous People with ADHD
It may be useful for your child to know about famous people who are successful and have ADHD. The list includes Michael Phelps (Olympic swimming gold medalist) Jamie Oliver, Richard Branson, Bill Gates, Will Smith, Emma Watson, Justin Bieber and Will.i.am.
Developing and sustaining a child’s self esteem is very important.
The following is available in a number of places on the internet, so we cannot find the original source. Parents of students with ADHD may recognize these traits in their child.
25 Good Things About Attention Hyperactivity Disorder
1. Lots of energy
2. Willing to try things and take risks
3. Ready to talk, and can talk a lot
4. Gets along well with adults
5. Can do several things at one time
6. May be smart
7. Needs less sleep
8. Good sense of humour
9. Good at taking care of younger children
11. Sees details other people miss
12. Understands what it is like to be teased or to be in trouble therefore understanding of other children
13. Can think of different and new ways to do things
14. Volunteers to help others
15. Happy and enthusiastic
16. Imaginative – creative
17. Articulate – can say things well
18. Sensitive – compassionate
19. Eager to make new friends
21. Fun to be with
22. Great memory
24. Warm and loving
25. Cares a lot about families