Attendance Policy – A Summary
Punctuality and Attendance Pupils and staff are expected to have good attendance and be on time. The Principal will contact parents/guardians in the event of pupils being consistently late. Reasons for pupils’ absences must be communicated by parents in writing.
The class teacher is asked to:
- Maintain the school roll-book on paper and online in accordance with procedure.
- Keep a record of explained and unexplained absences.
- Note patterns of attendance e.g. missing Mondays & Fridays regularly.
- Record if a child is taken out of school early, or does not attend for full day.
- Contact parents in instances where absences are not explained in writing.
- Encourage pupils to attend regularly and punctually.
- Inform the principal of concerns s/he may have re attendance of any pupil.
- Report the total amount of days missed in a year to parents in the end of year reports and at parent teacher meetings.
Notes or records of non attendance duly dated are kept for a period of twelve months. Schools report pupils absent for 20 days or more, or where a principal is concerned about a pupil’s attendance to the NEWB