When do children begin to learn Tables?
Addition and Take Away Tables are taught in 1st and 2nd class.
It is school policy that Tables to 6 are taught in 1st class.
The class teacher revises these in 2nd and then the children continue to
learn Tables up to adding and taking away 11 and 12.
1st/2nd Class provide ‘a window of opportunity’ to learn
addition/subtraction Tables. It is important to master these Tables by the
end of 2nd because
• in 3rd and 4th the focus changes to multiplication and division.
• if a child knows their simple number facts then they can give their
full attention to methodology when being taught new maths
What Tables are learnt in 3rd and 4th?
Multiplication/Division taught in 3rd and 4th
What about Tables in 5th and 6th?
Regular revision of Tables is part of the 5th and 6th class programme.
Teachers can teach the Tables, but children have to learn them. Even
though teachers introduce Tables from 1st class, teachers of 5th and 6th
find they are teaching Tables that should have been learnt earlier in a
child’s schooling. So let’s make this the year that tables are learned.
This will make a big difference.
- Information about preventing the spread of COVID-19 in school
- About St.Brigid’s NS
- Child Safeguarding Statement
- A Message from the Principal
- General Information
- Trustees & Board of Management
- Parents’ Association
- Garda Vetting: Information and Forms
- The Students’ Council
- The Curriculum
- Special Needs Education & Learning Support
- Learning Support
- A Whole School Approach to Dyslexia
- A Whole School Approach – ADHD (Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder)
- Dyspraxia: A Whole School Approach
- A Whole School Approach to Autism
- Supporting Students with Exceptional Ability
- A Whole School Approach to Supporting Children with Anxiety
- Support for Children whose 1st Language is not English
- We are a Digital School of Distinction
- We earned an Active School Flag
- Working towards our 6th Green Flag
- Music Generation
- Dates for your Diary
- School News
- Learning Tools
- Recommended Educational Links
- Junior Webmix
- Senior Webmix
- Links to Learn Tables
- Maths&Literacy – Infants to 2nd
- Foghlaim na Gaeilge
- Maths – 2nd – 6th approximately
- Learning Clock Time
- Learn to Code
- Fine Motor Skills & Typing
- Short Educational Videos
- History & Geography
- Musical Webmix
- Links to In-School Blogs
- Links for Learning
- Useful Class Tools for Teachers
- Students’ Work
- School Policies
- Admissions Policy 2020-21
- Anti Bullying Policy
- Digital Learning Plan – March 2019
- Health and Safety Policies
- Homework Policy
- Children’s Mobile Phones
- Bus Safety
- Policy on Exceptional Ability
- EAL Policy (English as a Foreign Language)
- Exemption from Irish
- Emergency Closures
- School Tours