As part of the SCHOOL SELF EVALUATION PROCESS, we in St. Brigid’s National School, Greystones have been focusing on particular aspects of Literacy and Maths. Now we have added a third subject: SPHE (Social, Personal and Health Education). As of the end of October 2018, we have gathered data in each of the areas we are working on. We are now developing targets.
In English our focus is developing the students’ Fine Motor Skills and Handwriting.
Our targets for Maths is the Learning of Tables
- Children in 1st class will learn doubles, tenners, teens and near doubles.
- Children in 2ndclasses will learn all addition and subtraction tables to 12.
- Children in 3rd class revise addition and subtraction tables to 12 and learn multiplication and division tables to 12.
- Children in 4th, 5th & 6th classes revise all addition, subtraction, multiplication and division tables to 12.
We have assessed children’s knowledge of tables as part of the standardized tests that were administered in May 2018.
A Third Subject
As part of the School Evaluation process schools are asked to select a third subject to focus on. Staff in St. Brigid’s acknowledge the importance of educating the ‘whole child’. Because of that we decided on SPHE as 3rd subject we would work on. SPHE stands for Social Personal and Health Education.
‘The Social Personal and Health Education Curriculum (SPHE) is for children from junior infants to sixth class. The SPHE curriculum
- fosters children’s well-being, self-confidence and sense of belonging
- develops children’s sense of personal responsibility for their own behaviour and actions
- promotes children’s self-awareness and understanding by helping them to manage their own feelings, to recognise and appreciate individual abilities, and to cope with change of various kinds
- supports children to become active and responsible citizens.
The curriculum consists of three strands: Myself, Myself and Others and Myself and the Wider World.’ (From Curriculum Online)
Click HERE to read the history of our work in School Self Evaluation to date.