Junior and Senior Infants
Homework is given at the discretion of the teacher and is usually based around reading activities, e.g. learning nursery rhymes, practising words, listening to stories, etc.
First Class to Sixth Class
All pupils from First to Sixth class are required to have a homework notebook that parents are asked to sign each night.
Homework is given to children from Monday to Thursday.
The main objectives of giving homework are to:
- support children in their learning;
- help children to revise and consolidate class work;
- encourage self-reliance & develop the habit of independent study;
- form the basis for future study;
- to enable parents to monitor their child’s progress; and
- to provide opportunities for parents to be actively involved in their child’s learning.
Homework is not normally given on Fridays except in Sixth Class or if a child has not fulfilled his/her homework requirements during the week.
In general, the time a child spends on homework is as follows.
- First Class 20 minutes
- Second Class 20–30 minutes
- Third Class 30–35 minutes
- Fourth Class 40–45 minutes
- Fifth Class 45–60 minutes
- Sixth Class An hour to an hour and 15 minutes
Pupils are allowed to leave the books that they do not require for homework in school, as long as they are stored neatly.
The school does not accept responsibility for pupils’ books left in school overnight.
Please note, our school insurance does not cover personal belongings or books left in school.
Click on this link to see a summary of our Homework Policy.